West Park Hospital's (WPH) massage therapy services has two highly qualified, full-time massage therapists and is available for both WPH patients and the public.
Massage therapy provides services in the following departments:
- Acute care/critical care unit
- Women's health and nursery
- Outpatient/surgical services
- Long Term Care Center
Massage services are available to hospital inpatients, outpatients and surgical patients. These services include:
- Trigger point therapy
- Myofacial release
- Pre/postnatal and infant massage
- Therapeutic massage
- Sports massage (pre- and post-event)
- Deep tissue body work
- Neuromuscular facilitation
- Craniosacral therapy
In addition to a wide variety of hands-on treatments, WPH's massage therapy services offers whirlpool and steam baths to complement massage.
Why offer massage services in a hospital?
Research studies examining hospital patients have shown the benefits of preoperative and postoperative massage therapy. Outcomes show improvement in healing time, reduced pain medication requirements, stabilized blood pressure, diminished stress hormone production and decreased length of stay.
Physical benefits of massage
- Calms the nervous system
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces heart rate
- Relieves headaches and eye strain
- Promotes stress reduction and deep relaxation
- Increases blood and lymph circulation
- Strengthens immune system
- Relief of muscle tension and pain
- Releases and eliminates toxins from the body
- Relieves muscle spasms and cramps
- Promotes deeper and easier breathing
- Nourishes skin through increased circulation
- Improves healing time
- Improves concentration
- Promotes deeper, better sleep
- Reduces anxiety
- Increases and balances energy flow
- Enhances self-image and self-confidence
- Creates a feeling of well-being
- Increases awareness of body-mind connection
Please contact us for further information on receiving massage during your hospital stay or to make a public appointment with one of our certified therapists.
In this section
Hours Vary - Please call to make massage appointments.
Sign up for our free Keeping Well